In today’s article, we are looking into blogging for beginners in Kenya. See, blogging is the #1 way people are making money online today more than ever.
In fact, over 50 websites are created daily in Kenya. Question is, why do you think so?
Well, more than 70% of these websites are blogs and the rest constitutes company websites among others.
Even with company websites, you find them adding a blog section.
This trend begs the question, why are people all over sudden moving to blogging in Kenya?
What is blogging in Kenya?
In a nutshell, blogging is all about posting articles consistently on a website.
We update daily our company blog. You can say that we are blogging😃.
From this, you need to understand two things as a beginner:
- You need a blog to start blogging. As the name suggests, it is a verb (for geeks). A blogger, therefore, is a person who has a blog and blogs consistently😀. Lost?
- Also, pay attention to ‘consistently.’ It is not a coincidence that the word is here. You cannot be driving once in every two years and call yourself a driver, right? Blogging is like a job. You need to show up consistently if you want to see results.
Also, blogging can be done on social media. Here, you will be posting articles on social media platforms such as Facebook, LinkedIn, and forums.
With that said, what do you need to get started in blogging for beginners in Kenya?
Blogging for beginners in Kenya: How to get started
We have already covered the basics. But this is where things take shape.
You need these things to get started as a blogger in Kenya.
- Domain name
- Web hosting
Yes, you only need three things to start blogging in Kenya. And now we are going to dive into each and what to do the tick the checklist.
Step 1. Niche
A niche in blogging is all about the topic you want to write about. Ask yourself, what do you want to be posting about daily?
This is where your passions and interest come in handy. If you love fashion, you can start writing about trending styles in Kenya.
If you think, sleep, and eat technology in Kenya, consider writing about tech stuff.
See how easy it is?
While that is true, most beginners like you get stuck here because of overthinking. You think that you will fail if you pick the wrong topic. Truth is, the topic matters, but what matters most is the readers.
Only pick topics with enough readers. The last thing you want is to focus on a topic that no one wants to read. Look online and do some research into what people are searching for online.
Popular blogging niches in Kenya
- Making money online
- Freelance writing
- Weight loss and personal health
Pick one and go with it.
Step 2: Domain name in Kenya
Once you have a topic, it is time to secure a website name to match it.
You need a name that reflects what you are talking about.
We deal with web hosting in Kenya. That is why our domain name is Truehost.co.ke. See? It contains the word ‘host’ and you can instantly tell what it is all about.
Why do you need a name?
Well, blogging is competitive. In fact, there are over 100 million blogs worldwide, making it even harder to stand out.
How to pick the best website name in Kenya
- The name should reflect your niche/topic.
- Should be Brandable. Avoid generic names
- It should be short (not more than 3 words). Avoid names like mywebsitebloggingnow.co.ke
- Should be memorable. Long names are hard to remember.
- Avoid using hyphens (-) or numbers, for example, my-website.co.ke or mywebsite123.co.ke. Stick to alphabets.
Examples of domain names in Kenya:
One more thing:
Consider using the .co.ke domain if you are targeting local readers. Otherwise, go with popular extensions like .com, and .net.
Since you now have the name, it is time for domain registration in Kenya.
Spend time brainstorming domain name ideas. You only have one chance to register a good website name and you cannot change it as you would with your Facebook name.
Once registered, time for hosting.
Step 3: Web hosting in Kenya
Your website will have files like articles, videos, audio, or images. All these media need somewhere to ‘live.’ That is where web hosting in Kenya comes in.
It is a service you subscribe to where your website files will be stored. And depending on the size of your website, these web hosting services have been grouped into packages with each offering more features than the previous one.
This means also they cost different.
With that said, you have two options:
- Free web hosting in Kenya –blogging for beginners in Kenya, they may not have enough money to buy hosting packages. If that is you, do not worry, you can build a website free of charge.
- Paid hosting – these are packages that require you to pay either monthly or yearly. They come with better features, thus more benefits to you. For example, we have four web hosting plans, the cheapest going for KES 1499, and the highest going for KES 14,499
To pick the best hosting plan for your website, consider the following:
One, for blogging beginners in Kenya, you probably need the cheapest plan. This is because your website is still growing, and doesn’t require more resources.
However, as your website grows, consider purchasing higher packages.
Secondly, your budget. If you have money to spend, by all means, get a higher package. On the flip side, if you don’t have enough budget, consider the free hosting services.
Domain name? Check
Web hosting? Check
What to do next
Blogging for beginners in Kenya can be daunting. But with this simple guide, you should be ready to launch within 24 hours.
Click here to see web hosting packages, pick one that suits your needs.
And see types of web hosting in Kenya.
Now, once you have the website up and running, start posting articles and sharing on social media to drive traffic. Also, perform SEO to rank on search engines.