Last updated on June 16th, 2023 at 11:38 am
This feels good…Kenya is one of the most popular countries in Africa for online business. This is because the country has a large population, good infrastructure, and a growing economy.
If you are looking to start an online business in Kenya, there are a number of different options to choose from. In this article, we will explore the top 7 types of online businesses to start in Kenya today.
1. eCommerce: Selling products and services online
Ecommerce, or electronic commerce, is the buying and selling of products or services over the internet.
It is a big business, with sales totaling more than US$1.7 billion in 2021.
Almost any type of business can benefit from selling online in Kenya, from small businesses to large corporations.
How to Get Started
If you’re thinking about starting an eCommerce business in Kenya, here are some things you need to know:
- Choose the right platform. There are many eCommerce platforms available in Kenya, both free and paid. Shopify and WooCommerce are two of the most popular options.
- Set up your payment processing. You’ll need to set up a payment processor so you can accept credit cards and other forms of payment. MPESA, PayPal, and Stripe are three popular options.
- Create a compelling product offering. You’ll need to have a great product or service that people want to buy.
- Build an effective marketing strategy. You’ll need to drive traffic to your store and convert them into paying customers.
- Provide excellent customer service. You’ll need to make sure your customers are happy and satisfied with their purchases.
There are many other things to consider when starting an eCommerce business in Kenya, but these are some of the most important.
2. Consulting: Offering expertise to clients remotely
Online Consulting business is a great way to start your own business in Kenya with little overhead.
But what is it?
Online consulting is a business where you provide services to clients through the internet. This can be done through email, chat, or video conferencing. ‘
You can also provide services such as website design, social media management, and virtual assistant work.
One of the best things about starting an online consulting business in Kenya is that you don’t need a lot of money to get started. In fact, many of the tools you need are free.
All you need is a computer with an internet connection and some basic software programs. You can also use free websites like WordPress to create a professional website for your business.
To get started in an online consulting business, you’ll need to create a marketing plan. This will help you determine how to reach your target market and what services they need.
You also need to create a pricing structure for your services.
Once you have all of this in place, you can start marketing your business online and generating leads.
3. Dropshipping: A business model where products are sold without an inventory
Another one of the fastest growing types of online businesses in Kenya.
Dropshipping is a business model in which eCommerce entrepreneurs sell products without having to carry any inventory.
When a store owner receives an order from a customer, they simply contact the supplier, who will then ship the products directly to the customer’s door.
Dropshipping apps like Oberlo let you add products from various suppliers into your shop to fuel your product offering.
Here is the thing:
Dropshipping is the perfect business model for new eCommerce entrepreneurs in Kenya. It’s simple to set up and manage, and it doesn’t require a large up-front investment.
You can also run your dropshipping business in Kenya in your spare time – you don’t need to quit your job to start a successful store.
Plus, there are several dropshipping tactics you can apply to drive traffic to your store.
4. Freelancing: Working for clients on a project basis
Freelancing is a type of business where you are self-employed and work for various clients.
It can be a great way to get started if you are unsure of what you want to do because you can try out different things until you find something that fits you.
There are many ways to get started freelancing in Kenya, but the most important thing is to have a good portfolio and be able to market yourself well.
That said, the following are some of the most common freelancers in Kenya:
- Graphic designers
- Web developers
- Social media managers
5. Affiliate Marketing: Earning a commission by promoting other people’s products
Affiliate marketing is a type of online business in Kenya where you partner with another company to promote their products or services.
In exchange for promoting their products, the company pays you a commission on each sale that you make.
For example, you can sign up as our affiliate in Kenya and pocket a 10% commission every time you send a paying customer to use.
This can be a great way to make money online in Kenya, and it’s relatively easy to get started.
If that sounds interesting to you, here are a few tips for getting started with affiliate marketing in Kenya:
- Choose a product or service that you’re interested in promoting.
- Find a reputable affiliate program and sign up.
- Create a website or blog to promote your products.
- Write helpful articles and reviews about the products you’re promoting.
- Drive traffic to your website by using SEO techniques and social media marketing.
- Earn commissions on each sale that you make!
6. Online courses: Creating and selling digital courses
There are many reasons to take online courses in Kenya. Maybe you want to learn a new skill, advance your career, or just explore new topics.
But what is an online course business? How do you get started?
An online course is a course that is delivered over the internet. It can be anything from a simple video tutorial to an interactive course with quizzes and homework. Many colleges and universities offer online courses, as well as websites like Coursera and Udacity.
To get started, simply search for a problem you think can be easily solved through a series of videos, articles, or audio.
Create the content and upload it to a place like Udemy or even your own website.
Start promoting it to attract students.
7. Blogging: Sharing your thoughts and experiences with the world
One of the best types of online business in Kenya.
Blogging business is a great way to share your thoughts and experiences with the world. It can also be a great way to make money.
Here are some tips on how to get started:
- Choose a topic that you’re passionate about. This will make it easier to write interesting blog posts.
- Find a web host and create a blog. There are many free options available, or you can choose a paid host.
- Start writing! Be sure to post regularly so that people will keep coming back for more.
- Promote your blog by sharing it on social media and other websites.
- Monetize your blog by adding ads or affiliate links.
- Network with other bloggers in your niche. This can help you build traffic and an audience for your blog.
In conclusion, there are many types of online businesses that one can start in Kenya today.
The ones highlighted in this article are just a few of the most popular and profitable ones.
If you are thinking of starting your own online business in Kenya, then these are definitely worth considering.
However, it is important to do your research and choose a business that fits your strengths and interests.
And most importantly, don’t be afraid to take the plunge and start your own business – it may just be the best decision you ever make!