VPS stands for virtual private server. It is one of the most popular hosting services for websites and applications. It uses virtualization technology to provide you with dedicated resources on a server that is used by several users.
Compared to shared hosting, VPS hosting is more secure and scalable. It’s usually preferred by website owners who have high traffic that exceeds the limits of shared hosting plans but still do not need the resources of a dedicated server.
How it works
A server is a powerful computer that stores the files and databases for your website.
When a visitor wants to access your website, their browser send a request to your server and it transfers the necessary files via the internet.
Virtualization technology installs a virtual layer on top of the operating system of the server. This layer divides the server into partitions and allows each user to operate autonomously installing their own OS and software applications.
A virtual private server is both private and virtual because you have complete control. It is separated from the other server users on the OS level.
Running a VPS lets you host your website within a secure container with dedicated resources . You also get the same root-level access as if you rented a dedicated server but at a lower cost.
Advantages of VPS hosting
1) It’s faster and more reliable than a shared hosting server
2) Server resources such as memory and processing power are guaranteed
3) Issues of other server users doesn’t affect your site
4) You get superuser access to your site
5) You get better privacy of files and databases
6) It is an easy to scale service – You can upgrade your server resources easily I.e RAM, CPU, Disk Space, Bandwidth
1) It is more expensive than shared hosting
2) It requires more technical knowledge to manage your server
3) Improper configuration may affect your site’s traffic and may also cause security vulnerabilties
VPS hosting gives you access to guaranteed resources and a full control without having to run your own server.
It’s the best solution for medium to high traffic, resource-heavy and eccommerce websites.
Also, businesses that expect rapid growth can also benefit from the stability of the service and the ease to scale up resources.