What is an Online Store?
An online store in Kenya is a distribution channel where the products you sell are stored and served to customers through the internet.
These stores are usually web-based, software-as-a-service (SaaS), or stand-alone software.
And the products can be anything from health books to consumer electronics, as well as many other categories.
Think of an online store as a virtual warehouse full of products. Customers can order online, and you can send them the products they ordered. You can also accept pre-orders (if that’s your model).
Reasons to Start Selling Online Now
Nowadays, almost anyone can sell online – even if they don’t have a physical location, employees, or inventory. Here are some of the reasons why you need to start an online store:
- You can start your own business without having to invest in inventory, employees, or a physical location.
- You can sell products from other companies and earn commissions.
- You can sell digital products (eBooks, software, music, etc.) and earn recurring income.
- You can sell your own products and build a brand.
- You can reach customers all over the world without having to worry about shipping costs or import taxes.
- Your store is open 24/7 and you don’t have to worry about holidays or weekends.
- You don’t have to pay for expensive marketing campaigns because your store will be visible in search engines for free!
- You don’t need any special skills to create an online store in Kenya – anyone can do it!
If you are an entrepreneur with no capital at hand but a great idea for a product that people want to buy – this is the perfect way to start your business without spending money on inventory or employees!
How to Set Up An Online Store in Kenya
The first thing you will need is a website. There are many different types of websites, depending on your business. Whether you are selling physical or digital products, a website displaying your products and prices may work well.
Remember, you may want a website that is more user-friendly, including a mobile-friendly version.
If you don’t already have a website, you can sign up for a free website hosting service on OLITT.
You can also use your own domain if you have one (go here to register one right now).
After you have your site up and running, the next thing you’ll need is a catalog.
A catalog lists all of your products, as well as their descriptions, prices, and availability. You will use a catalog to build your online store’s online presence.
Keep in mind that you will need to include your products in your catalog if you plan on selling them online. If you don’t have any products to list, you can always create a free database entry for every product that you sell in-store. This database entry will include the product’s make, model, color, and any other relevant information you need to fill in the details.
Finally, you will need an eCommerce platform.
An eCommerce platform allows you to sell products through your website, and accept orders and payments online. There are many different eCommerce platforms, and you will need to choose the right one for your business.
If you are using OLITT to create your online store in Kenya, you don’t have to worry about this. OLITT takes care of everything.
But if you are building an eCommerce on your domain, we suggest you check out WooCommerce.
After that, you will need a way to accept online orders.
OLITT allows you to accept payments through:
And more payment methods are being added.
Tips for Creating a Successful Online Store in Kenya
Here are some tips to help you start a successful online store in Kenya
- Make sure you have quality products to sell.
- Make sure you have a good website to sell your products on.
- Make sure you have a good online store system to accept orders and ship products out to customers.
- Make sure your website is search engine friendly so it will show up in search results when people are searching for what they want on the internet
- Create an email list of potential customers who might be interested in buying from you – this will help you get more sales!
Do you need a business license to sell online?
No, you don’t need a business license to sell online in Kenya. However, if you are selling products that are considered hazardous materials, such as chemicals or medical devices, you will need a business license.
Do I pay taxes if I sell online?
Online sellers in Kenya, including those selling through online sales websites such as Jumia.co.ke, are responsible for reporting sales income to the Kenya Revenue Authority
How much does it cost to start an online store?
The cost of starting an online store in Kenya depends on the type of store you want to create. If you are just starting out, it’s probably not worth it to invest in a full-blown eCommerce platform. Instead, you can use a free eCommerce platform like OLITT and WooCommerce. These platforms are easy to set up and will get you started with minimal investment.