Kenya is the 54th largest market for eCommerce with a revenue of US$1.7 billion in 2021
Sell Anything, everywhere
Ksh 299.92/mo when you renew
- Free domain name for 1 year
- Sell Unlimited Products
- Unlimited Storage hosting
- Connect Custom Domains
- Accept online payments
- Ticket & Live Chat support
- SEO & Marketing tools
- Social Media Integrations
- HelpDesk/Livechat Integrations
- Google Analytics
- Multiple Shipping Option Supported
- 30-day money-back guarantee
Online Store FAQs
What is an online store in Kenya?
An online store in Kenya is a distribution channel where the products you sell are stored and served to customers through the internet.
These stores are usually web-based, software-as-a-service (SaaS), or stand-alone software.
And the products can be anything from health books to consumer electronics, as well as many other categories.
Think of an online store as a virtual warehouse full of products. Customers can order online, and you can send them the products they ordered. You can also accept pre-orders (if that’s your model).
What are the benefits of an online store in Kenya?
Nowadays, almost anyone can sell online – even if they don’t have a physical location, employees, or inventory. Here are some of the reasons why you need to start an online store:
- You can start your own business without investing in inventory, employees, or a physical location.
- You can sell products from other companies and earn commissions.
- You can sell digital products (eBooks, software, music, etc.) and earn recurring income.
- You can sell your own products and build a brand.
- You can reach customers worldwide without worrying about shipping costs or import taxes.
- Your store is open 24/7, and you don’t have to worry about holidays or weekends.
- You don’t have to pay for expensive marketing campaigns because your store will be visible in search engines for free!
- You don’t need special skills to create an online store in Kenya – anyone can do it!
If you are an entrepreneur with no capital at hand but a great idea for a product that people want to buy – this is the perfect way to start your business without spending money on inventory or employee
What things to consider before setting up an online store in Kenya?
Here are some tips to help you start a successful online store in Kenya
- Make sure you have quality products to sell.
- Make sure you have a good website to sell your products on.
- Ensure you have a good online store system to accept orders and ship products to customers.
- Make sure your website is search engine friendly so it will show up in search results when people are searching for what they want on the internet
- Create an email list of potential customers interested in buying from you – this will help you get more sales!
How do I set up an online store in Kenya?
The first thing you will need is a website. There are many different types of websites, depending on your business. Whether you are selling physical or digital products, a website displaying your products and prices may work well.
Remember, you may want a more user-friendly website, including a mobile-friendly version.
If you don’t already have a website, you can sign up for a free website hosting service on OLITT.
You can also use your domain if you have one (go here to register one now).
After you have your site up and running, you’ll need a catalog next.
A catalog lists your products and their descriptions, prices, and availability. You will use a catalog to build your online store’s online presence.
Remember that you will need to include your products in your catalog if you plan to sell them online. If you don’t have any products to list, you can always create a free database entry for every product you sell in-store. This database entry will include the product’s make, model, color, and any other relevant information you need to fill in the details.
Finally, you will need an eCommerce platform.
An eCommerce platform allows you to sell products through your website and accept orders and payments online. There are many eCommerce platforms, and you must choose the right one for your business.
If you use OLITT to create your online store in Kenya, you don’t have to worry about this. OLITT takes care of everything.
But if you are building an eCommerce on your domain, we suggest you check out WooCommerce.
After that, you will need a way to accept online orders.
OLITT allows you to accept payments through:
And more payment methods are being added.
How do I promote my online store in Kenya?
If you have an online store, you know how important it is to get the word out and promote your business. Here are a few ways to promote your online store:
- Use social media to your advantage. Create accounts on popular platforms like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Then, start posting about your store and sharing photos and product links. Be sure to use relevant hashtags so that people can find you easily.
- Write blog posts or create videos about your products. This is a great way to show potential customers what you offer and why they should buy from you. If you have a blog, share your posts across social media and include links to your website.
- Advertise your store on other websites or in online directories.
- Get involved in online communities relevant to your niche. For example, if you sell handmade jewelry, join forums and groups dedicated to DIY projects or fashion. This is a great way to connect with potential customers and build brand awareness.
- Make sure your website is optimized for search engines. This means using relevant keywords on your website and in your content so that people can find you when they search for terms related to what you sell.
- Offer discounts or free shipping to encourage people to buy from you. Everyone loves a good deal, so this is a great way to entice potential customers.
What are some common mistakes made with online stores in Kenya?
A common mistake with online stores in Kenya is failing to set up a system for managing inventory. This can lead to overstocking or selling out of products, which can be frustrating for customers.
Another mistake that is often made is not having a clear returns policy. This can cause confusion and frustration for customers, especially if they cannot return an item they are unhappy with.
A third mistake that is commonly made is not offering enough payment options. This can limit the number of potential customers willing to purchase from your store.
By avoiding these common mistakes, you can create a more successful online store in Canada that can serve your customers better.
Do you need a business license to sell online in Kenya?
No, you don’t need a business license to sell online in Kenya. However, you will need a business license if you sell products that are considered hazardous materials, such as chemicals or medical devices.
Do I pay taxes if I sell online?
Online sellers in Kenya, including those selling through online sales websites such as Jumia.co.ke, are responsible for reporting sales income to the Kenya Revenue Authority.
How much does it cost to start an online store in Kenya?
The cost of starting an online store in Kenya depends on the type of store you want to create. If you are starting, investing in a full-blown eCommerce platform is probably not worth it. Instead, you can use a free eCommerce platform like OLITT and WooCommerce. These platforms are easy to set up and will get you started with minimal investment.
- How to Sell Land Online in Kenya (And Not Be Scammed)
- 55+ Most Profitable Products to Sell Online in Kenya
- How to Sell on eBay from Kenya
- How to Sell Photos Online in Kenya: Step-by-Step
- How to Sell Shoes Online in Kenya: Step-by-Step
- How to Sell Clothes Online in Kenya: Step by Step
- No. 1 Guide on How to Sell on Etsy From Kenya
- Is Shopify Available in Kenya? Yes! Here’s How To Use It
- Can I Sell on Amazon From Kenya? Yes! And Here’s How
- How to Grow Your Online Store in Kenya