Last updated on July 12th, 2023 at 07:14 am
Virtual Machines in Kenya
Virtual machines in Kenya are a new but revolutionary concept as you will see in this article.
A virtual machine, also known as a guest, is created within a host, which is another computer.
- It’s called a host because it is housing the virtual machine
- Guest because the VM is housed inside a physical computer
It turns out you can host multiple virtual machines in one host at a go.
Moreover, a physical computer is comprised of an operating system, hard disk, etc. a virtual machine is made up of a log file, virtual disk file, NVRAM file, and configuration file.
What’s a virtual machine?
This is a piece of software that has capabilities to behave like an actual computer i.e.
- Run operating systems
- Run applications
VM behaves like a physical computer, but in the real sense, it is a computer file installed on the actual computer and alienated from its operating system so it can run on its own sandboxed environment.
Virtual machines behave as separate distinct computer systems. Alternatively, think of it as a computer inside another computer.
How can you use virtual machines in Kenya?
Since VMs are virtual computer systems, they are perfect for performing the following tasks:
- Tasks that are risky if performed by an actual computer such as accessing virus-infected files
- Testing operating systems that couldn’t otherwise be possible under normal arrangements
- Running software or even applications on OS they weren’t originally made tailored for
- Creating computer OS backups
- Creating server virtualization – here, you divide a physical server into multiple isolated partitions called virtual servers that can independently run their own OS
One thing makes virtual machines perfect for these tasks:
They run on a sandboxed environment away from the host’s computer system, as mentioned earlier. Consequently, cannot tamper with the host’s system files.
Advantages of Virtual machines
- VM allows you to run multiple operating systems on a single host (physical computer)
- Virtual machines are easy to manage, maintain, and most importantly, are readily available
- Virtual machines make salvaging efforts easier after a disaster such as natural disasters, hardware failure, cyber-attacks, etc. this is because you can use VMs to schedule periodic data backups.
Types of Virtual Machines
There are two types of VMs
- System virtual machine – the type that makes it possible to share the host’s physical resources between several guests
- Process virtual machines – execute applications without relying on the underlying platform by masking the information of the platform’s OS. This way, the program can be executed in the same fashion anywhere
Are you looking for virtual machines in Kenya?
Truehost Cloud will provide everything you need for virtualization for the VPS and VM.
Matter of fact, we have the following apps:
- Xenserver VPS
- VMware VPS
- KVM VPS
- HYPER-V VPS
Click here to learn more.