Domain is a unique identity for internet object- can also be referred to as a host name. A domain is usually a name that is easy to remember. Every domain name resolves or points to an IP address.
An IP address is used to point a domain to a hosting server.
A hosting server refer to computer resources supplied by an internet hosting company through a lease agreement on monthly, quarterly or yearly basis, these resources are used to support a website or an application in the internet.
Most internet hosting companies specialize in selling hosting resources and other related internet resources including:
- Domain name
- SSL certificates
- IP address
Domain and Hosting resources prices are determined by market forces and therefore they vary from one internet hosting companies.
Some of the major Internet Hosting companies include:
- Among others
Advantage of using the right Internet Hosting Company
- Uptime – good hosting companies have high uptime 99.995% and above
- Support – Good hosting companies have great support for her domain and hosting clients.
- Resources – Good hosting companies guarantee and avail the set resources.
- Domain tools- good hosting company also avail domain tools for domain management such as domain privacy, domain protections among others.
Disadvantages of hosting with a poor hosting company
- Low uptime and multiple downtimes, avoid buying domain or hosting from poor hosting companies.
- Poor host companies do not offer support or offer inadequate support, avoid buying domain or hosting from poor hosting companies.
- Oversharing of Resource – Poor Host companies overshare their resources thus denying adequate resources to the accounts and domain hosted, avoid buying domain or hosting from poor hosting companies.
- Lack of support tools – poor host companies lack essential tools for domain management like dns manager, domain privacy, domain protection among others, avoid buying domain or hosting from poor hosting companies.