This guide will help you create a website with HTML. It will also mention tools and alternatives to using for your website.
Creating a website in Kenya using HTML can seem daunting. However, it’s much easier than you might think.
With some basic knowledge and tools, create a stunning website instantly. Use it to showcase your brand or business best.
Tools you need to create a website with HTML
1. Code Editor
It’s a software application that allows you to write and edit code. Includes tools like Notepad, Sublime Text, and Visual Studio Code.
Notepad is a simple text or code editor in Windows. Sublime Text is a more powerful code editor with more advanced features than Notepad.
Visual Studio Code is a popular open-source code editor. It’s more advanced and best suited to creating sites.
It integrates well with GitHub, a code hosting and deployment platform. Research which best fits you as you create your website with HTML.
2. Web Browser
It’s application software that displays web pages. It is used to preview and test the HTML code you’ve written.
Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Edge are most liked web browsers. Chrome is popular because it has many built-in developer tools.
Find the best for your website creation and testing.
3. HTML Validator
It checks your code for errors and helps ensure it follows the correct syntax. You can use online validators like W3C Markup Validation Service or offline validators like HTML Tidy.
W3C Markup Validation Service is free; it checks for errors and provides suggestions for improvement.
HTML Tidy is a command-line tool that checks your HTML code for errors. It also formats it to improve readability.
Check for other tools and use that which is conversant with you. Be creative; don’t be limited to these only.
4. Image Editor
Images are an important part of any website. An image editor allows you to create, edit, and optimize images for the web.
Popular image editors include Adobe Photoshop, GIMP, and Canva. Adobe Photoshop is the best and most powerful image editor.
GIMP is a free, open-source image editor similar to Photoshop but with fewer features. Canva is an easy-to-use online image editor.
Get your best editor and craft the best images for your website with HTML.
5. FTP Client
A File Transfer Protocol (FTP) helps you upload your HTML files to your web host. There are several FTP clients available, including FileZilla and Cyberduck.
FileZilla is an open-source FTP client that is easy to use. Drag and drop transfer files from your computer to your hosting account.
Cyberduck is easy to use, and features include support for multiple connections, bookmarking, and server-to-server transfers.
The tools mentioned above are essential for creating a website using HTML. Access to these tools can make creation faster and more enjoyable.
Creating a website with HTML alternatives
1. Content Management Systems (CMS)
WordPress, Drupal, and Joomla are popular platforms allowing you to design and manage a website without writing code.
They provide a user-friendly interface; you can customize your site with various themes and plugins.
They are simple and mostly use drag and drop editor. Creating with them is instant and doesn’t limit creativity.
Pros of Content Management Systems over HTML:
- Ease of use- they eliminate the coding process. It’s just dragging and dropping items.
- Saves time- the coding process is tedious, and CMS removes the coding process.
- Quick deployment- once done creating, it’s easy to go live. With a click of a button, your site is accessible online.
- Maintenance is easy- updates are always available; click update, and your site is safer.
2. Website builders
Website builders like Wix, OLITT, and Weebly are online platforms that eliminate the coding process. Provide templates, drag-and-drop editors, and more to customize your website.
Pros of Website builders over HTML:
- All-in-one package- a builder hands you everything you need for your site. Have your site ready instantly without hassle.
- Drag-and-drop interface- this is a simple way to create your website. No touching code, just moving elements till you get your desired design.
- No maintenance hassle- It ensures your site grows without issues, and maintaining it is as easy as a click of a button.
- Quick website setup- builders have prebuilt sites, change a few details, and your site is ready!
These frameworks provide reusable components, data-binding, and more. They make it easier to build complex applications.
- It’s efficient and organized- your website will look stunning. It will also perform better and be reliable.
- Solutions-based- the framework provides solutions for coding issues. Helps you create sites with ease.
- Creates dynamic pages- it’s easy to create and edit pages instantly.
4. Static site generators
These are the tools that automate the building process. They create a full static HTML website, including generators like Jekyll, Hugo, and Gatsby.
The full static HTML files can be hosted on a simple web server, improving performance and security.
Create a website without relying on a server-side language like PHP or a CMS.
Pros of Static site generators over HTML
- Simplicity- the code structure is stripped of all unusable code. It means your site will run smoothly.
- Secure- static files are safe from attacks. They don’t comprise much, and a hacker can’t perform SQL database injections or exploit server-side security loopholes.
- Easy scaling- the server isn’t overwhelmed with requests as it has no extra scripts.
- Fast- the server resources aren’t consumed much as the code is easy and has no dependencies.
5. Web development tools
Tools like Bootstrap, Foundation, and Materialize provide prebuilt components and styles; used to create a responsive and mobile-friendly website.
Pros of web development tools over HTML:
- Speed and efficiency- offer a more efficient way to create websites. They provide pre-designed templates, drag-and-drop interfaces, and prebuilt components. It speeds up the building process and reduces the code you need to write.
- Ease of use- web development tools are designed to be user-friendly and require little or no programming experience. They allow anyone to create a website without a coding or web design background.
- Customization- They offer a high degree of customization. Modify templates, layouts, and styles to fit your specific needs.
- Collaboration- multiple people work together on a website. They provide collaborative features like version control and project management tools.
Creating a website with HTML is easy, as HTML is the foundation of the web. However, several alternatives can make it more effortless.
Step-by-step guide on creating a website with HTML
1. Plan your website
What design do you have, and what should it include? You’ll need to consider the following:
- The purpose of your website.
- Your target audience.
- The types of content you want to include.
- Design elements you want to incorporate.
This planning process will help you create a clear vision for your website and ensure you can execute it effectively.
2. Choose your domain name.
What name are you giving your site? A domain name is a URL that people will use to access your website.
Choose something memorable and relevant to your brand or business. Use a domain registrar like Truehost or GoDaddy to purchase your domain name.
3. Set up hosting
Hosting is where your website will be stored online. Many options are available, including shared, VPS, and dedicated hosting.
Find the one that suits your needs and budget the most. Again Truehost provides the best plans for you.
4. Create your website with HTML.
Use a text editor like Notepad, add HTML tags to format your Text, create headings, etc.
You’ll also need to create a stylesheet using CSS to add style and design to your website. Simple code snippets from Notepad:
Once done coding, proceed to save it on your computer. Save it as a website.html, and it will allow you to run your code on a web browser and get such:
5. Publish Your Website
After you’ve created your website, it’s time to publish it online. You can upload your HTML files using FTP to your hosting provider.
It’s an easy process, and hosts like Truehost offer assistance. Alternatively, some hosting providers offer website builders or one-click installers.
Publish your website without manually uploading files. Once your website is live, you must promote it to drive traffic and build your audience.
Use social media, paid advertising, email marketing, or search engine optimization. Promote your website effectively and gain the best yields.
Following the steps outlined above, create a professional-looking website to help you establish your brand or business online.
With a little effort and dedication, build a successful online presence to help you achieve your goals.
Creating a website with HTML is a simple process that anyone can learn. Try it yourself, have your site online, and showcase your skills.