Are you an aspiring author looking to sell your ebook in Kenya?
Well, fret not because we’ve got you covered!
Thanks to the rise of digital media and online marketplaces, selling your ebook in Kenya has never been easier.
In this blog post, we will take you through the 11 best sites to join now and start selling your ebook today!
From popular websites like Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) to local Kenyan platforms like Text Book Centre and Muthurwa.com, there are plenty of options available for authors to reach a wider audience and generate revenue from their work.
So get ready to dive into the world of ebook selling in Kenya as we explore these fantastic platforms that could help turn your writing dreams into a reality!
Online platforms to sell ebooks in Kenya
Let’s look at some of the best online platforms to sell eBooks in Kenya.
a. Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing
Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing is a self-publishing platform that allows authors to publish their work easily and affordably.
Amazon has made it easy for independent writers to publish their books and reach a wide audience at no cost.
With KDP, any author can upload their manuscript in different formats, including Word documents or PDFs.
The platform provides its users with tools to format the book properly and create cover designs.
After uploading the ebook, authors can set prices for their books and earn royalties of up to 70% per sale.
KDP allows authors from Kenya to reach readers worldwide without worrying about distribution costs or other expenses associated with traditional publishing.
It also offers access to valuable analytical data that helps authors track sales performance and identify what works best for them when marketing their books online.
Steps to publishing an ebook on Kindle Direct Publishing in Kenya:
- Create an account on Kindle Direct Publishing by providing your personal and payment information. You will need a valid bank account or PayPal account to receive royalties.
- Click on “Create a new title” and provide details about your book, such as the title, author name, publication date, keywords, and description.
- Upload your manuscript in Word format or HTML format and preview it before publishing.
- Design the cover of your ebook using Amazon’s Cover Creator tool or upload a custom cover design that meets their requirements.
- Set the price for your ebook based on market competition, quality of content, and length of the book.
- Select which territories you want your ebook available for sale in and sign up for KDP Select if you want additional benefits like higher royalties rates, promotion options, etc.
- Review all details before clicking “Publish Your Book” button that makes it available for purchase from Amazon store worldwide.
b. Google Play Books
Google Play Books is one of the best platforms for selling your ebooks in Kenya. As an author or publisher, you can upload your book to Google Play and set your own price.
The platform gives you access to millions of users who download and read books on their Android devices or web browsers.
You also get to keep 70% of the revenue you generate from sales.
In addition to selling ebooks, Google Play Books allows authors to promote their work through its advertising program.
By creating ads that target readers based on their interests, demographics, and behaviors, authors can reach a wider audience and increase their sales.
Moreover, Google provides detailed analytics that allow authors to track the performance of their ads and optimize them for better results.
Steps to publishing an ebook on Google Play Books in Kenya
1. Create a Google account: To publish an ebook on Google Play Books, you’ll need a Google account. If you don’t already have one, create it now.
2. Sign up as a publisher: Once you have a Google account, go to the Google Play Books Partner Center and sign up as a publisher.
3. Upload your ebook: After signing up, upload your ebook file (in EPUB format) along with its metadata such as title, author name, description and cover image.
4. Set pricing and distribution: Set the price of your book and select which countries you want it available in.
5. Verify payment details: Provide your bank account information for receiving payments from sales made in Kenya or other countries where your book is available.
6. Submit for review: Before publishing your book on Google Play Books store, make sure that it meets their content guidelines by submitting it for review.
7. Publish and promote: Once approved, publish your ebook on the platform and start promoting it through social media channels like Facebook or Twitter to boost visibility among potential readers in Kenya or worldwide.
So, if you’re looking for a reliable platform to sell your ebook in Kenya, Google Play Books is definitely worth considering.
With its vast user base, customizable pricing options, and advertising tools, it offers a great opportunity for authors to monetize their writing and grow their readership.
c. Kobo Writing Life
Kobo Writing Life is a self-publishing platform owned by Kobo Inc. that enables authors to sell their ebooks on the Kobo website.
The platform offers easy-to-use tools to create and publish ebooks, as well as track sales and royalties.
Kobo has a global audience and is especially popular in Canada, where it was founded.
However, it also has a significant presence in other countries like the United States, United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand.
Authors who publish their ebooks on Kobo Writing Life can reach millions of readers around the world.
In Kenya, Kobo does not have a dedicated store but Kenyan readers can still purchase ebooks from the global store using their local currency through various payment options such as M-Pesa or credit/debit cards.
Therefore, authors who choose to sell on Kobo Writing Life have access to an international audience including Kenya with easy payment options for those within the country.
Steps to publishing an ebook on Kobo Writing Life in Kenya
1. Create an account with Kobo Writing Life: Go to Kobo Writing Life’s website and sign up as a new user. You will be required to provide some basic details such as your name, email address, and password.
2. Format your manuscript: Ensure that your manuscript is properly formatted before uploading it on Kobo Writing Life. The platform accepts EPUB files which can be created using software like Calibre or InDesign.
3. Upload your book: Once your manuscript is ready, log into your Kobo account and click on “Add a New Title”. Follow the prompts to upload your book on the platform.
4. Enter book details and pricing information: Fill in all the necessary details about your book including title, author name, description, and keywords. You will also have to set a price for your ebook.
5. Set up payment options: Choose how you want to receive payments from Kobo Writing Life – either via PayPal or direct deposit.
6. Submit for review: After completing all the steps above, hit “Publish” button but note that before listing it live on their store, it will go through review by their team after which you can get feedback or approval if everything complies with their policies.
With these simple steps, you can publish and start selling ebooks in Kenya on Kobo Writing Life – one of the best platforms available today!
Where can I sell my ebook in Kenya
Other platforms where you can sell your eBook in Kenya is Jumia Books.
Jumia Books is an online marketplace that specializes in selling books, including eBooks.
The platform provides a wide range of categories for eBooks, such as business, fiction, and non-fiction. It also offers a self-publishing service where authors can upload their work and set their prices.
Another platform to consider when selling your eBook in Kenya is Text Book Centre (TBC).
TBC is one of the largest bookstores in East Africa with over 15 branches across the region. The platform has a dedicated section for eBooks where authors can upload their works and set their prices. TBC also offers marketing services to help promote your eBook to its audience.
Lastly, there’s OkadaBooks – a Nigerian-based company that also serves the Kenyan market.
This innovative platform focuses on e-publishing and offers some great features like analytics tools which provide insights into how readers are engaging with your content.
With OkadaBooks, you have total control over how much you want to charge for your eBook and earn up to 85% royalty per sale made through the platform.
Other ways to sell ebooks in Kenya
#1. Personal website
Another one of the best places to sell your ebook in Kenya is through a personal website.
This option allows you to have complete control over your sales, pricing, and marketing efforts.
A personal website also provides a platform for you to showcase your brand and build a loyal audience.
Benefits of having a personal website
Having a personal website can greatly benefit authors who are looking to sell their eBooks in Kenya.
One of the main advantages is the ability to showcase your work and build credibility with potential readers.
By having a professional-looking website, you can provide information about yourself as an author and your publications, making it easier for people to find and purchase your eBook.
In addition, having a personal website offers greater control over pricing and distribution.
You can set your own prices and choose where you want to sell your eBook, whether it’s through third-party platforms or directly from your site. This allows for more flexibility when it comes to marketing and selling your book.
Lastly, a personal website provides an opportunity for direct communication with readers.
By including contact forms or social media links on your site, you can connect with fans of your work and build relationships that may lead to future sales or collaborations.
Steps to selling ebooks on a personal website in Kenya
1. Create a dedicated page for your ebook: Design a visually appealing landing page that highlights the benefits of your ebook, its features, and the problem it solves.
2. Make sure you have a payment gateway set up: To sell ebooks on your website, you’ll need to have payment processing capabilities integrated into your site. This will involve setting up a merchant account with a payment gateway provider like PayPal or Stripe.
3. Optimize for SEO: Use keywords related to the topic of your ebook when creating content around it, so that Google can easily index and rank it higher in search results.
4. Promote through social media: Leverage social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn to promote your ebook and drive traffic back to your website.
#2. Social media platforms
Social media platforms are an essential tool for marketing and promoting eBooks in Kenya.
Facebook, with its massive user base, is a great platform to advertise your eBook.
You can create a business page and post about your eBook regularly, making sure to include relevant hashtags for discoverability.
Additionally, you can join eBook promotion groups where you can share your book with readers who might be interested.
Twitter is also an excellent platform for promoting eBooks as it allows authors to connect directly with potential readers using targeted hashtags related to their genre or topic.
One effective strategy is tweeting teaser quotes from the book or snippets of reviews to generate interest and encourage people to check out the full publication.
Instagram has become increasingly popular among authors as it allows them to showcase their books visually through images and videos.
You can create aesthetically pleasing posts featuring your book cover or behind-the-scenes glimpses of your writing process while using relevant hashtags to reach new audiences.
Instagram’s “stories” feature provides yet another way for writers to engage with their followers by sharing exclusive content such as sneak peeks or Q&A sessions.
Steps to selling ebooks on social media platforms in Kenya
The first step is to create an ebook that meets the needs of your target audience and is well-designed. Once your ebook is ready, you can leverage social media platforms to market it.
The second step involves identifying the right social media platform for selling your ebook. Facebook and Instagram are popular options in Kenya, with Facebook offering several features like groups and pages that allow you to reach potential customers easily.
Instagram’s visual nature makes it ideal for showcasing your ebook through images and videos.
The final step in selling ebooks on social media platforms in Kenya involves using paid advertising to reach more potential customers. Social media platforms like Facebook and Instagram offer targeted advertising options that enable you to reach specific audiences based on demographics, interests, and behaviors.
With these steps, you can successfully sell your ebook on social media platforms in Kenya and generate a steady income from online sales.