What is Let’s Encrypt in Kenya?
Let’s encrypt is a non-profit Internet Security Research group (ISRG) company that offers a free SSL certificate; it is a free, automated, and open certificate authority. A certificate Authority is a company that verifies and offers SSL certificates so it can be installed on the domain name.
Let’s encrypt offers the SSL certificates at a free price no charges and the SSL certificate is provided for life for any domain registered.
SSL stands for secure socket layer; it is a security feature that allows safe communication between the computer and the server it encrypts information being communicated.
How to get let’s encrypt free SSL certificate
- Using your hosting control panel. Let’s encrypt CA has come to an understanding with many hosting control panels such as Cpanel, Plesk, CentosWeb-panel to provide a free SSL plug-in for users to automatically install and renew the SSL certificate. You can therefore use your control panel to install let’s encrypt SSL certificate to secure your website.
- Using websites such as https://sslforfree to install your free SSL certificate. It is one of the websites that let’s encrypt CA has an agreement with to help users install their let’s encrypt SSL certificates
- Using certbot. It is a package available for RHEL/Centos and Ubuntu servers which allow one to fetch, install and renew SSL certificates provided by let’s encrypt automatically. It is best suited for users who use SSH access to a VPS or a dedicated server instead of using control panels.
- You can also get a free let’s encrypt SSL certificate from web hosting companies who have an agreement with let’s encrypt CA to offer them for any hosting done or for any domain registered such as Truehost Kenya.
Features of let’s encrypt SSL certificate:
- It is free for life
- Can be issued for four months before it expires
- Very easy to set up
- Does not offer a warranty in case of a data breach
- No site seal provided
- Offers DV certificate therefore not suitable for some sites
Let’s encrypt free SSL certificate is a solution for businesses to ensure that they secure their sites with HTTPS protocol to protect their data and that of the user through end to end encryption.
Truehost Kenya allows the launch of businesses in minutes through a free drag and drop website builder, registers your domain name, host your website, and secure your website with free SSL certificates.
We help you secure your data through backups and restore services and provide you with email services for more reliable emails.
Get to us at www.truehost.co.ke and find out more about our services.